|At present, Tohoku Gakuin University Library consists of four buildings on separate locations: two buildings are on the Tsuchitoi campus, the other two being on the Tagajo campus and on the Izumi campus.
In 1891 and in 1926, each time a new school building was erected on the Tsuchitoi campus, one room was set aside as the Library. But in 1953, a new building was constructed to be the main Library. This has now been redesigned as the building housing the Graduate school, and it contains the Graduate Library.
In 1985, the Central Library, called the Schneder Memorial Library, was built. It has five stories and a basement where there are two rooms housing 35,000 books, Government publications and back numbers. The first and second floors hold reading rooms with the latest newspapers, periodicals and reference books, and with AV and OPAC corners. The third and fourth floors and their mezzanines house the stacks. The total floor area is 6,837 square meters, with 799 seats for readers. The collection here includes nearly 630,000 volumes and more than 8,500 periodical titles.
The Izumi Library has two basements for periodical back numbers and books in foreign languages, and two upper stories: on the first floor dictionaries, encyclopaedias and newspapers are available; on the second floor there are books in Japanese, OPAC and AV corners. The total floor area is 6,100 square meters, where about 200,000 volumes and 2,600 periodical titles are held, with 500 seats for readers.
The Tagajo Library, which serves the Faculty of Technology, has two stories: the first floor has books in Japanese, dictionaries, encyclopaedias, and newspapers, with AV booths and OPAC corners; on the second floor there are books in foreign languages and periodicals. There are about 280,000volumes and 3,700 periodical titles, with 325 seats for readers.
All three libraries have a BDS system, and all students are required to carry their own ID card.
In the Central Library is an exhibition room for rare and valuable books, among which are A Noble Fragment Being a Leaf of the Gutenberg Bible published ca. 1445, William Caxton's Canterbury Tales of 1478, the Latin-English Dictionary edited by T. Elyot in 1538, and first editions of Luther, Kant, Adam Smith, Darwin, Malthus, Linnaeus, St. Albans, and others. The collection also includes The Dante Collection of H. Yamakawa, and the Wakana-shu of T. Shimazaki, both of whom were once members of the teaching staff of this University.